Fire destroys Latexo home
Houston County Courier - January 2010
By Daphne Hereford
LATEXO – No injuries were reported in a Monday night, Jan. 4 fire that destroyed the Latexo home of Larry and Tracey Minter.
According to Latexo Volunteer Fire Department Chief Larry Melson, the fire on CR 1825 was reported at 10:17 p.m. and was located about .5 mile north of FM 2663.
LVFD responded with 14 firefighters.
Crockett Fire Department also responded to the call with water and six firefighters.
Melson said no injuries were reported as a result of the fire and that firefighters cleared the scene about 1:30 a.m. Firefighters endured temperatures in the mid-20s while battling the blaze.
The doublewide mobile home was destroyed as a result of the fire.
Authorities said the cause of the fire was improper installation of electrical wiring.
The Red Cross provided lodging for the Minters’, including their three children and Minter’s mother for two nights following the blaze.
Residents of the community are organizing an effort to assist the Minters’ who lost everything in the fire. The family needs clothes for the three children; two girls age 5 and 10 and a boy age 7.
The adults are also in need of clothing and assistance.
For information about the community efforts to help the family call Chastity Hoch at 222-5749.