Polk County Publishing Company, P.O. Box 1267, Livingston, TX. 77351 - (936) 327-4357











Houston County Courier - Local News

Copyright 2013 - Polk County Publishing Company

Annual food drive for SHARE in progress
Houston County Courier

By Lynda Jones
Editor-in-Chief

The annual food drive benefitting Houston County SHARE is underway and will end Wednesday, Dec. 25, Jim Tom Ainsworth, SHARE president, announced. "Hunger is a reality for many people in Houston County, and SHARE works to relieve some of the hunger by providing a 7 - 10 day food box to those who are needy," Ainsworth explained. "We work with other food pantries in Houston County and the Senior Citizens' Center to serve the citizens of Houston County. SHARE is a member of the East Texas Food Bank in Tyler and purchases food from the Food Bank at a reduced rate." Ainsworth continued, "Approximately 75% of the food distributed by SHARE comes from the Food Bank. The remaining 25% is provided by donations by the citizens of the county, by individuals, churches and school groups. "During the annual food drive, barrels and boxes for collection are placed in strategic locations for shoppers to purchase extra items of food and donate for the needy. "Currently, there are food barrels or boxes for donations at Brookshire's, HEB, KIVY, Angelina College, First Community Bank and Bella's." The Annual Food Drive got off to a big start, Ainsworth said, with a large donation from the Latexo Elementary PTO and from the Crockett Elementary PTO, which collected more than 1,600 cans of food. Additionally, the Jordan School/Vista Academy is collecting hot and cold cereals. KIVY hosted a big drivethrough, drop-off of food campaign Tuesday, Nov. 26. SHARE currently serves 540 families per month through its Crockett location and the outreach programs that deliver food to needy senior citizens in Grapeland, Lovelady, Kennard, Ratcliff, Weches and Tadmor, according to Ainsworth. "This number includes approximately 1,490 persons who receive some food each month," Ainsworth added. Many churches and clubs are having food collections during this season. Churches, clubs and school groups wanting to collect food for SHARE, as well as anyone needing a food box or barrel and those who need someone to pick up the food. are asked to call Houston County SHARE at 936-544-5600 and leave a message. Anyone wishing to make a donation to help purchase food, can send his/her gift to Houston County SHARE, P. O. Box 1121, Crockett, TX 75835.

 

Polk County Publishing Company