|Polk County Enterprise - Local News
Stories Added - April 2010
Copyright 2010 - Polk County Publishing Company
Fire consumes Leggett home
Polk County Enterprise
LEGGETT — A Leggett area family lost their home, their possessions and a treasured family pet Tuesday when fire broke out at about 6 p.m. while the occupants were away, according to Livingston Fire Chief Corky Cochran. Neighbors called Livingston Volunteer Fire Department at 6:05 p.m. Tuesday when they noticed the trailer at 379 Mabank was on fire. LVFD dispatched three trucks and 18 firefighters to the residence just off Onesuch Road west of Leggett. When firefighters arrived the residence was already engulfed in flames. “The residents of the mobile home returned while we were there,” Cochran said. “We tried to knock the fire down and save what we could.” The residents told firefighters their white pit bull had been inside the mobile home. Firefighters later located the pet, but it had succumbed to the smoke and fire. Fire Marshal Jay Barbee said the fire was electrical in origin. The 1975 model trailer had a mixture of aluminum and copper wiring.