|Polk County Enterprise - Local News
Stories Added - July 2009
Copyright 2008 - Polk County Publishing Company
Organizers of Onalaska fireworks show say this year may be grand finale
Polk County Enterprise - July 2009
ONALASKA — This year’s lakeside Fourth of July fireworks display may be the last staged by Onalaska city officials, Onalaska Fire Chief Roy Newport said Tuesday. “This may be the last year we have it,” Newport said. “The fireworks budget is $2,500 short this year. It gets to be more of a hassle each year and with the economic troubles this year it’s been even harder.” Newport and longtime County Commissioner Bobby Smith began the display 33 years ago to celebrate the bicentennial in 1976. Newport said Smith was a convincing fund-raiser for the project. Smith died in October 2005. “I know people appreciate it because of the amount of traffic we get, but there’s nothing in the budget for it,” Newport said. Shuttle buses will begin running to the viewing area from the old Boles parking lot, church parking lots and the elementary school at 5:30 p.m. Saturday and will continue until the festivities are over. No alcohol is permitted in the viewing area. Admission is free and donations are appreciated.