|Polk County Enterprise - Local News
Stories Added - June 2009
Copyright 2008 - Polk County Publishing Company
House fire in Segno kills family cat, no other injuries
Polk County Enterprise - June 2009
SEGNO — Quick action by Segno volunteer firefighters quickly knocked down a kitchen fire raging at the home of Jeanie Mae Battise at about 7:09 p.m. Wednesday. Firefighters Justin Cude and Mike Cain arrived at the home at 7:12 p.m. and found flames coming out of four windows on the kitchen side of the house as well as in the garage and attic areas. The fire was out by 8 p.m., Cude said. “We knocked down the flames in the kitchen area and moved through the garage and attic,” Cude said. “We were coming back through working on hot spots when Livingston Fire Department came in to assist.” “There was little LVFD could do because the Segno crews had done such an excellent job,” Livingston Fire Chief Corky Cochran said. LVFD assisted with overhaul and cleanup to give the Segno firefighters a break from the extreme heat and exertion, Cochran added. “It was a hot fire,” Cude said. “The family has a good bit of heat and smoke damage. The kitchen is pretty much destroyed, but the house is repairable.” The only injuries in connection with the fire were to the family’s pets, Cude said. A cat died in the fire and the dog was taken to an area veterinarian with injuries. The dog’s barking alerted family members to the fire and allowed everone to get out safely, Cude said. Battise and her three teenage children were home at the time of the fire but were not injured.