Live Green & Easy
Big Thicket Messenger - November 2007
Going green is easy and can save money without sacrificing product performance. Following are 10 simple ways to lead greener lives without breaking the bank or making major adjustments to everyday routines.
* Adjust the thermostat. Set the thermostats a few degrees cooler in the winter and warmer in the summer to save energy and money.
* Use water-saving showerheads. Install low-flow, water-saving showerheads and reduce the amount of time spent in the shower to save water, as well as the energy used to heat it.
* Buy energy-saving light bulbs. Use energy-saving light bulbs like compact fluorescent lights and turn off all lights when exiting a room to save energy and money on electric bill.
* Use cold water to wash clothes. According to the U.S. Department of Energy, about 90% of energy used to wash clothes is used to heat the water.
* Create a compost pile in the yard. Not only will this reduce landfill waste, but the compost can also be used to nourish plants.
* Take advantage of new products with environmentally smart packaging. New technologies mean new ways to be green. Products like Wonder Tablitz (www.wondertablitz.com) come in a reusable spray bottle with refill tablets, which reduce the carbon footprint and landfill waste by 66%. They are also up to 50% cheaper than traditional cleaners.
Buy a reusable water bottle. Filter tap water
* BYOB. Bring your own bag to the grocery store or reuse and recycle your disposable shopping bags to reduce paper and plastic waste.
* Carpool, ride your bike or walk to work. Find another mode of transportation: you can save money on gas, parking and possibly fit your workout in at the same time.
* Invest in a power strip. Smart power strips can detect energy use and automatically shut-off when they are no longer needed.