Polk County Publishing Company, P.O. Box 1267, Livingston, TX. 77351 - (936) 327-4357
Main Sections

Polk County Enterprise

Houston County Courier

Groveton News

Big Thicket Messenger

San Jacinto Newstimes

Trinity Standard

Tyler County Booster

Corrigan Times



San Jacinto News-Times - Local News
Stories Added - August 2010
Copyright 2010 - Polk County Publishing Company

County celebrates 140 years of history
San Jacinto News- Times

COLDSPRING – A celebration of the 140-year history of San Jacinto County is scheduled to be held Saturday, Aug. 14. Hosted by the San Jacinto County Historical Commission and the American Legion Harold G. Davis Post 629, the event will be held in Camilla at the American Legion Post. Events of the day will include a bike ride at 10 a.m.; grill-off at 11:30 a.m.; bean cook-off at 11 a.m.; ice-cream freeze-off at noon and an auction at 2 p.m. A $10 entry fee will be charged for each category. All food must be cooked on the premises. For more information about events, contact Betty Magee at 936-661-8239 or Dale Everitt at 713-962-9299. County history For those who are not already aware, San Jacinto County has a wide variety of historic markers that tells of its history and warrants a visit from visitors and residents alike. Beginning on Hwy. 190 you will fi nd Oakhurst, which was once a thriving San Jacinto County sawmill town. The town was named for Oakhurst, Oklahoma, home of several lumbermen who moved to Texas. Three miles north of Oakhurst, about two miles off FM 946, is Sam Houston’s country home, Raven Hill, a home taken from the Cherokee Indians’ name for Houston, “The Raven.” A Texas historical marker is all that remains of the site. The property is privately owned. Farther up Hwy. 190 from Oakhurst you will fi nd the City of Point Blank, which was originally named Blanc Point by a Frenchwoman who moved here from Alabama. The town was also known as Point White and White Point. Located one mile south of Point Blank is the entrance to Robinson Cemetery. A large monument commemorates the grave of Gov. George Tyler Wood, a former Texas governor, whose grave was unmarked for nearly 53 years. Wood served as governor from 1849 to 1851. Just south of Point Blank and located near the intersection of Hwy. 190 and Hwy. 156 is the home site of Gov. Wood, although nothing remains there today. Heading from Point Blank to Coldspring, you will fi nd a marker on the Old Jail Museum, which housed inmates in the county until the early 1980’s. It is located in the old town site of Coldspring which was obtained from a Mexican Land Grant made to Col. Robert Rankin. Leaving Old Town and traveling up the hill to Coldspring, a marker is found on the San Jacinto County Courthouse Square. The current courthouse was constructed about 1918, following the destruction by fi re of the original courthouse in 1914 at Old Town. Other San Jacinto County historical markers listed with the Texas Historical Commission include: Coldspring United Methodist Church – located on Hwy. 150, downtown Coldspring. Believed to be the oldest Methodist Church in continuous use in Texas today. First Baptist Church of Coldspring – Located at 100 East Pine Avenue. Marker gives a brief history of the church, which was organized in 1914 as Laurel Hill Baptist Church. Big Thicket Historical Marker – at a rest area on Hwy. 150, Coldspring. The area was notorious as a haunt for army deserters during the Civil War. Trapp/McClanahan Home – 50 Hill Avenue. Marker for the historic home built around 1880. The property is privately owned. Council Hill – located on private property off FM 222 I Camilla. Home of Vernal B. Lea, brother of Mrs. Sam Houston. Coushatta Indians – located at Coley Creek 6.5 miles east of Shepherd on FM 223. Inhabited by tribe from about 1835 to 1900. Laurel Hill Cemetery – located on FM 1514 on the edge of Coldspring. General James Davis is buried here. Evergreen United Methodist Church – Organized about 1862, seven years before formation of San Jacinto County. Located on Hwy. 150 West of Coldspring in Evergreen Community, east of blinking light at intersection of Hwy. 150 and FM 945. J.M. Hansbro Law Offi ce – built 1870, was the fi rst structure moved to new site of Coldspring after fi re destroyed fi rst town site in 1914. San Jacinto cinto County Abstract Company housed in the building many years. County’s first telephone was installed here. Located on San Jacinto County Courthouse Square on Hwy. 150. Old Waverly Community – early center of culture for this part of Texas. Settled 1835- 1850. Located Hwy. 150, 13.8 miles west of Coldspring near Walker County line. Shepherd United Methodist Church – organized 1882 in town of Shepherd one block north of Hwy. 150. Shepherd Town Marker – located on Hwy. 150 at FM 222, Shepherd. Originated in vicinity of Old Drew’s Landing. Andrew Jackson Isaacks Grave Marker – in Oak Shade Cemetery, Hwy. 105, four miles east of Cleveland. Robert Todd Robinson House -- .75 miles south of Point Blank on Hwy. 156. The site is on private property.

 

Polk County Publishing Company