|San Jacinto News-Times - Local News
Stories Added - June 2009
Copyright 2008 - Polk County Publishing Company
C-OHS seniors get over $330,000 in scholarships, awards
San Jacinto News- Times - June 2009
COLDSPRING -- Coldspring- Oakhurst High School graduating seniors have received more than $330,000 in scholarships and awards to date, according LaTonya Goffney, superintendent of Coldspring- Oakhurst Consolidated Independent School District. The total amount represents support from colleges and universities, the United States military, corporations and businesses, as well as national, state, and local organizations. Local support amounted to more than $105,000. Goffney said, “We appreciate all forms of community support. This time of year, we are especially grateful for its scholarship programs. Scholarships are endowments that make it easier for students to move forward with their education and, ultimately, give back to us all.” In an awards ceremony for graduating seniors, COHS principal Bill Chapman announced this year’s largest award is from the United States Air Force in the amount of $80,000 to Gage Jeter. The United States Marines also announced its newest recruits from COHS: Johnathon Lopez and Jason Pady. The following academic and athletic collegiate scholarships and their recipients were also announced:
• Baylor University, $20,000: Alannah Andries.
• Kilgore Junior College, Athletic Scholarship, $30,000: James Scott.
• Stephen F. Austin State University Excellence Scholarship, $3,000: Jessica Lilley.
• Stephen F. Austin State University Excellence Scholarship, $3,000: Keith Sewell.
• Texas A&M University Regents Scholarship, $5,000: Apostolie Kourakis.
• Texas A&M top 10% State Scholarship, $2,000: Apostolie Kourakis.