|San Jacinto News-Times - Local News
Stories Added - October 2008
Copyright 2008 - Polk County Publishing Company
FEMA recovery center opens
San Jacinto News- Times - October 2008
AUSTIN, Texas -- A FEMA/State Disaster Recovery Center is open in San Jacinto County to provide faceto- face assistance to those who suffered damage from Hurricane Ike. The center is located at: County Precinct 3 Building, 35 Lilley Yeager Loop North, Cleveland, Texas 77327. The center opened Monday, Sept. 29. Hours are from 9 a.m. to 6 p.m., until further notice. Residents are encouraged to register with FEMA before visiting a center. There are two ways to register: log on to www.fema.gov or call FEMA’s toll free number, 1-800-621- 3362, or TTY 1-800-462-7585. Both numbers are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week, until further no-tice. Residents should register only once; duplicate registrations may cause delays in the delivery of assistance. Before going to the center, residents should make sure to have their identifi cation, Social Security number, insurance information, proof of address and contact numbers on hand. At the center, visitors can:
• Receive information about different types of state and federal disaster assistance.
• Get help completing lowinterest loan applications from the U.S. Small Business Administration (SBA) for homeowners, renters and business owners.
• Inquire about the status of applications for federal assistance.
• Receive referrals to the American Red Cross and other voluntary organizations to help with immediate unmet needs.
• Learn cost-effective measures to reduce the impact of future disaster losses.
• Disaster assistance may include grants to help pay for temporary housing, home repair and other serious disaster-related expenses not covered by insurance or other sources. Low-interest SBA disaster loans also are available for homeowners, renters and business owners for losses not covered by insurance or other sources. More information is available online at www.fema.gov or www.txdps. state.tx.us/dem.