|Trinity Standard - Local News
Stories Added - August 2009
Copyright 2008 - Polk County Publishing Company
Police task force nabs fugitive
Trinity Standard - August 2009
TRINITY – A tank force of eight officers from four local law enforcement agencies captured a 31-year-old suspect who has been on the run for police for months.
Donald Ray Hobbs was taken into custody on Wednesday, July 29, at his grandmother’s residence on North Lakefield Street in Trinity.
Because Hobbs has managed to elude police in the past, Trinity Police Chief Steven Jones said investigators elected to “take no chances” in his capture.
“We had eight officers who surrounded the house to cut off all possible routes of escape,” he said.
Once the officers were in place, Jones knocked on the front door and was invited into the home by the grandmother.
“It was anti-climatic because once we entered the home, the suspect surrendered without any resistance and without any attempt to escape,” he said.
“I think he knew that it was time to come in,” Jones added.
In July, Hobbs was one of two suspects who managed to escape after being chased by police.
That incident occurred on July 11 when officers spotted a man walking on Locke Street carrying a beer and a bottle of liquor.
When officers attempted to detain him, he fled on foot and managed to escape following a brief struggle with Officer Jon Beeman.
He was wanted on a Walker County warrant charging him with failing to appear in court on a drug possession charge and on a Trinity County warrant charging him with violating the conditions of a bond issued on a possession of controlled substance charge.
Officers involved in the arrest included Trinity County Deputy Mark Moscinski, Pct. 3 deputy constables Wayne Huffman and Hayne Huffman; Pct. 1 Deputy Constable Rusty Barrett; and Jones and officers John Raiford, Travis Bryant and Beeman of the Trinity Police Department.
Jones said Trinity police also are actively searching for 11 other suspect wanted on various charges.
• Jimmie Barry, 33, wanted on a misdemeanor theft warrant issued in May 2008.
• Angelique Carter, 40, wanted on a misdemeanor theft warrant issued in July 2009.
• Matthew George, 22, wanted on a misdemeanor possession of dangerous drugs warrant issued in August 2008.
• Chris Holoman, 20, wanted on a state jail felony credit card abuse warrant issued in November 2008.
• Jammal Johnson, 20, wanted on a misdemeanor simple assault warrant issued in January 2007.
• Reynaldo Macabeo, 54, wanted on a felony indecency with a child warrant issued in November 2007.
• Richard Mack, 33, wanted on a misdemeanor evading arrest warrant issued in August 2008.
• Kenneth Pack, 51, wanted on a felony theft warrant issued in December 2003.
• Darren Palmer, 46, wanted on a felony fraud warrant issued in June 2008.
• Melanie Powell, 47, wanted on a state jail felony credit card abuse warrant issued in March 2008.
• Joseph Willis, 26, wanted on a felony injury to the elderly warrant issued in January 2008.