|Trinity Standard - Local News
Stories Added - June 2009
Copyright 2008 - Polk County Publishing Company
Army scholarships boost local awards to $898,000
Trinity Standard - June 2009
TRINITY – Five U.S. Army Scholarships valued at almost $750,000 boosted the total awarded to Trinity High School graduates to over $898,000.
During the annual scholarship night held at the First United Methodist Church, a total of 30 of the 63 members of the Class of 2009 were presented with scholarships to assist with their continued college education.
Class valedictorian Daniel Quan received the state’s honor scholarship for $6,000 and 10 students were each awarded $1,000 scholarships from the Trinity Scholarship Fund, which is funded by the annual Cajun Crawfish Boil held each May.
Following is a listing of the scholarships received by the THS grads from various organizations.
• State of Texas Honor Scholarship for $6,000 to Daniel Quan.
• Sam Houston State University Honors Scholarship for $2,800 for four years to Garrett Walker.
• Al Wiedeman Scholarship for $100 to Payton Price.
• Dr. Sam Barnes/First National Bank-Trinity Scholarship for $4,000 to Daniel Quan.
• Trinity Fair Queen Cake Scholarship for $500 to Kaytlen VanDyke.
• Joe Werner Masonic Lodge Scholarship for $1,000 to Abigail McCollum.
• Charlene Carr Memorial Eastern Star Scholarship for $500 to Nathan Lowe.
• Trinity Ex-Students Association Scholarships for $1,000 each to Kevin Cossey and Kristin Maynard.
• Bell Memorial Scholarship for $1,000 to Payton Price.
• Doyal and Royal Lowry Memorial Scholarship for $1,000 to Nathan Lowe.
• Stevenson Family Memorial Scholarship for $1,000 to Joshua Ivy.
• Angelina T.L.L. Temple Scholarship for $2,000 to Emily Johnson.
• Trinity Thoroughbred Scholarships for $500 to Payton Price and for $2,000 to Caron Walker.
• WBT&S Scholarship for $1,200 to Shane Harberson.
• City of Huntsville Scholarship for $500 to Amber Chatman.
• Trinity Scholarship Fund for $1,000 each to Daniel Quan, Abigail McCollum, Shane Harberson, Garrett Walker, Joshua Ivy, David Fish, Michael Ortiz, Melva Morrison, Lauren Christopher and Joseph Brown.
• Blinn College Scholarship for $6,000 to Payton Price.
• Patsy Bell Jolly Memorial Scholarship for $250 to Rachel Carrico.
• U.S. Army Scholarships for $147,552 to Kolton Rogers and for $150,000 each to Ray Rodriguez, Christopher Bell, Terri Hall and Cody Boykin.
• Lone Star Ex-Students Association Scholarships for $500 each to Raemonica English and Abigail McCollum.
• Roy Cross Sr. Memorial-Open Door Outreach Ministry Scholarships for $300 each to Brittany Pettie, Will Augustino and Payton Price.
• Texas Lutheran University Football Scholarship (amount not yet available) to Kevin Cossey.
• Career Colleges and Schools of Texas Scholarship for $1,000 to William Leith.
• C.J. Davidson Scholarship for $16,000 to Rachel Carrico.
• East Texas Baptist University Scholarship for $37,200 to Nathan Lowe.
• Lion’s Club Scholarships for $500 each to Joshua Ivy and Payton Price.
• Baylor University President’s Gold Scholarship for $44,000 to Daniel Quan.
• Lon Morris College Scholarship for $5,000 to RaeAnn Willis.
• PTA Scholarship for $500 to Joshua Ivy.
• Dorcas Wills Memorial Baptist Church Scholarships for $400 each to Will Augustino and Daniel Quan.
• Gospel Hill Memorial Baptist Church Scholarship for $500 to Amber Chatman.
• VFW Senior Scholarship for $4,000 to Nathan Lowe.
In addition to scholarships awarded to members of the Class of 2009, three additional scholarships administered by the Trinity Ex-Students Association were awarded this year to students who graduated from THS earlier.
• The Class of 1967 Scholarship for $500 to Danny Gearheart, a senior at Sam Houston State University.
• The Lloyd and Mossell Bell Scholarship for $1,000 to Sara Owens, a senior at SHSU.
• The Class of 1959 Scholarship for $1,000 to Bethany Schanfish, a sophomore at Tyler Junior College.