|Trinity Standard - Local News
Copyright 2013 - Polk County Publishing Company
Cemetery vandals identified by police
Trinity Standard -
TRINITY — A pair of 13-year-old Trinity boys were scheduled to be taken into custody this week in connection with the vandalism of about 150 tombstones in the Cedar Grove Cemetery. Police Chief Steve Jones said Monday investigators have identified two of the three juveniles believed to be involved with the incident that occurred during the night of May 24-25. Jones said the two suspects identified so far include one white male and one Black male. "We are working with the juvenile probation department and will be bringing in both suspects this week," he said. The two face third-degree felony charges of desecration of a cemetery. "We don't have a positive identification on the third suspect yet but we are working on it," the police chief added While most of the tombstones involved were simply pushed over during the vandalism spree, as many as 60 were damaged or destroyed. In addition to the tombstones, six grave blankets also were damaged. Grave blankets are slabs of marble approximately six inches thick, seven feet long and four feet wide, which cover graves. The six were cracked when tombstones were toppled over on top of them. The tombstones damaged ranged from fairly recent burials to some dating back to the 1800s.